Monday, February 23, 2015

Day 64 (11/25/14) Ever have a bad day...in prison ?

It’s another day and I’m feeling annoyed. I’m not sure what it is. Ever have a bad day ? I try and stay positive everyday and do my own thing and stick to my routine. But, today, I am just moody. I think these women are taking a toll on me. See, on the outside, you have a bad day and you can get away from it. Definitely not here. It started with breakfast. The walk to breakfast is no longer enjoyable. At first, I loved getting up and being able to just be outside and walk to the chow hall. Now, it’s miserable. It’s really cold, so your up at 3:30-4:00 in the morning walking outside in the cold. We have a little old lady who shuffles her feet and walks very slow. One of the deputies put her at the front of the line, so we had to walk at a snails pace in the cold. It was not a fun experience. I am really not a morning person either, so I prefer to not talk. I want to be left alone, eat, and go back to bed, but got stuck next to “chatty Cathy” this morning, who would not stop talking. She talked my face off on the way to the chow hall, in the chow hall, and back to the chow hall. I was nice and polite, but when I got back to my cell, I was over it and complained to my bunkie how annoyed I was. I felt bad, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. The worst part was the sound of dragging sandals. Half these women can’t pick up their feet when they walk. So, you hear the horrific sound of sandals dragging. You can hear them coming from a mile away. For some reason today, it was like nails on a chalkboard. I want to yell for them to pick up their damn feet when you walk ! My bunkie had to tell the story of the deputy and what she did to poor Wyonna 100 times today. Every time the story got more and more exaggerated. I guess we’ve all done that before when telling the same story over and over. 
Someone hijacked the newspaper today and took it to their cell so that wasn’t even an option for anyone today. It was found later. Someone had used it as toilet paper and it was covered in shit. Wonderful. 

We couldn’t agree on what to watch on TV. It was really a frustrating day. We have a lot of new women in our housing unit and we have a lot of our “old timers”. Then there are the “know it alls” and the “bossy bitches”. I’m tired of the “bossy bitches” telling everyone the rules and then not following them themselves. Then there’s the “TV monitors” that when they are watching TV, they always yell “TV courtesy please !!” But, when they aren’t watching TV, they are loud as hell. It’s a housing unit of 56 women, with all sorts of personalities living under one roof. Sharing one newspaper, 5 phones, one TV, 14 TV chairs, and 5 showers. Considering all that, we get along pretty well and at the end of the day, I’m glad to be in this housing unit dealing with all the annoying and irritating women than sitting in my cell in lockdown. Nothing was as bad as Housing 3F. I can’t imagine how I’d be if I were still in there. That was mental torture. This is probably the most I have bitched since being in here, but I’ll allow myself to slip from being positive once in a while. As another day passes, I am thankful for what I have. I remind myself to be happy and grateful for what I have, because it sure could be a lot worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment